"..because most importantly, I am a chemist!"
2019- present: PhD Candidate Organic Chemistry, University of Ottawa
Supervisor: Prof. Stephen Newman
2013- 2017: BSc (Hons) Pharmaceutical Chemistry, University of Ontario Institute of Technology. Cumulative GPA: 3.80.
Thesis Supervisor: Prof. Yuri Bolshan
Please feel free to download my CV here.
Currently, I work alongside a team of excellent chemists who hope to solve old problems in chemical catalysis through the application of modern techniques and technologies. I explore the use of nickel catalysis in combination with high-throughput techniques in an attempt to activate bonds that have previously been thought to be inert. Specializing in the application of advanced instruments towards organic synthesis, past experience has seen me use organoboron reagents to diversify pharmaceutically-active compounds, and a diverse range of organometallic species in an attempt to perform difficult reactions towards water splitting and alternative energy production.
1. Cook, A.; Clément, R.; Newman, S. G. Reaction Screening in Multiwell Plates: High-Throughput Optimization of a Buchwald-Hartwig Amination. Nat. Protoc. 2021,
2. Cook, A.; Prakash, S.; Zheng, Y.-Z.; Newman, S. G. Exhaustive Reduction of Esters Enabled by Nickel Catalysis. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2020, 142, 8109.
The end-goal for me has always been a career in teaching. Currently, my sights are set on becoming a university-level research professor. But any excuse to make a difference in lives through the illustration of chemistry sounds like a dream. In year 12, I was introduced to the concept of a vocation; today I can say without a doubt that my vocation lies in teaching and improving the art of chemistry.
Currently, my teaching experiences include:
Teaching Assistantships :
- Introductory Chemistry I (at Ontario Tech University)
- Introductory Chemistry II (at Ontario Tech University)
- General Chemistry (at uOttawa)
- Organic Chemistry I (at uOttawa) [laboratory demonstrator]
- Organic Chemistry I (at uOttawa) [tutorial leader]
- Organic Chemistry II (at uOttawa)
- Synthesis and Analysis of Advanced Materials (at uOttawa)
- From Magic to Modernity: Chemistry Through the Ages
-ESG 5300: Theory and Practice of Undergraduate Teaching
-ESG 5310: Communication and Media Relations in Science
- Workshops: Teaching at the Summit, Impactful Science: Beyond the Classroom, Diversity-oriented Undergraduate Teaching
For more information, please access my teaching dossier by clicking here.